Feedback

From SHA2017 Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Posted reviews, media, blogs/vlogs, photo collections, etc

Please post these on the memories page.

Feedback

Please add your feedback below. Use * to add a bullet point, *: to add an indented bullet point (adding to or replying to comment above), and -- ~~~ to sign your name.

Example:

* Sample text :) -- ~~~

turns into

Add a subject if it isn't there yet using == subject==

General / Overall

  • We had permit limitations and SHA is not a rave party --User:Attilla
  • Why not? It's a little worrying that a few people seem to have the view that a hacker camp should not *also* be a party. It's not just a conference, people come to these events with the intention of having a party as well as getting involved with the activities and learning new stuff. Why can't we have both? --User:Msil
  • I really liked that the camp was silent when I went to bed. I understand that some people would rather party with loud music all night long, but there are many other events for that audience and I'm glad that this hacker conference didn't feel the need to try to be a music festival. Let's party 16 hours a day and keep the 8 hours of silence for sleeping. --Sha2017.org-juerd (talk)
  • The Dutch camp orga seems to not understand chaos. There is no point in trying to defeat chaos, you have to build your structure around it. This often failed. Anyway, overall I had a good experience. --User:BenjaminWand
  • Had a nice time & met new interesting people, thanks to the orga for making SHA2017 happen! BjornW
  • As an organizer, I think this event was great for almost all of the orga. It was a lot of hard work, it was a stressful challenge at times, and it was all worth it. I think that much of the damage from the mistakes made at OHM2013 (summary: OHM was a great event for visitors but demanded too much from the orga) is now repaired in our community. I'm looking forward to the next edition! --Sha2017.org-juerd (talk)
  • While I understand the Dutch Hacker camps seem to be more security focused, it would be nice to try and organise some more talks/workshops on hardware , There was some, but swamped in comparison to the security stuff. Much was still interesting none the less. Maybe try to advertise to people to get more talks in this area? -- JD (talk)
  • I liked that layout of the camp with some fields being a bit away from all the action and noise. Sleeping on Snowden field was nice and quiet. Kartents are also a great alternative to regular tents, please keep ordering those! -- ChrisiPK (talk) 23:00, 28 August 2017 (CEST)

Projectleiding

  • Coordinating such a large event is a big challenge, it was a hard job. --User:Thomascovenant
  • When logistics entrance stopped working, volunteers who have been there for hours were freezing without instructions. After that two CCC people from Team Villages took over, without consultation, because there was no one else. --User:Thomascovenant
  • Unfortunately Parking and Logistical entrance was not good arranged and we're very grateful of the people who picked it up. We've tried our best to additionally help the volunteers there, but that should indeed have been done from the beginning. Major improvement point for the next time. --User:Attilla
  • Many thanks to Attila for taking care of orders and money management. --User:Thomascovenant
  • Although PL did a wonderful job of fixing hundreds of ad-hoc issues, I believe the hands-on approach stood in the way of actual management. Some major oversights (such as parking and entrances) might have been avoided if team Projectleiding was still focused on everyone's Sanity instead of caught up in all the small stuff. On the other hand, it worked out and it was still better than the previous events! --Sha2017.org-juerd (talk)

Bar

  • Prices at the Bar felt like a ripoff to me - eg. EUR 1.50 for a candy bar. There are gas stations that sell them for less. :( -- Mkie (talk)
  • Premade Tschunk and at some point without ice while the drink itself was on the more expensive side. --User:Nameofuser
  • No fruit Juice only soda stuff, so for abstemious the only solution was Pepsi and 7-up --User:Mte90
    • There were apple juice/orange juice (and a 3rd one i don't remember, no one asked for it during my shifts) :) -- Bigshot (talk)
  • 2 "beers" on tap. I understand it has to make a profit, but was expensive - even for carbonated drinks. Didn't use it that much. --User:Guffer
  • Fizzy Drinks such as pepsi, 1.50 each for a medium glass? Could almost buy a 1.5ltr bottle for that much! Understand that profit had to be made but seriously? I know expensive pubs that charge less. Possibly look at hiring/purchasing a pump and buying in syrup for the next event(s) if that makes it cheaper? Would allow for water + other soft drinks on tap too.-- JD (talk)

Cohesion

  • I heard a lot of good things about the silent lounge! Several friends enjoyed their time there, a great idea.
  • Shouldn't happen: Team Cohesion member exploding at angels of the Ticket tent since they came at closing time. Frustration is understandable, but this is not the team to practice your social skills. - Unsigned by thomascovenant.
    • That was me. If you want an explaination you could just ask me what happened and why it happened. K - THNX BugBlue (talk) 11:06, 24 August 2017 (CEST)
  • E-mailed about something, got feedback in person. For me, it took first-hand experience to understand why this team is useful and not "just" a part of the security team. --Sha2017.org-juerd (talk)

Content

  • Tardis room not explained on Frab so I didn't done 2 talks in the schedule --User:Mte90
  • Very good and a good range of subjects. There was some overlap of talks --User:Guffer
  • Opening ceremony was a bit boring and too focused around Stitch in the beginning
  • See comment in overall -- JD (talk
  • It would be easier to track expenses if it would be on FRAB User:Claudia
  • Frab had many usability issues, we had complaints from speakers that didnt manage to add their talks to the system User: Claudia

Content/Heralds

Content/Speakerdesk

Decoration

  • Sort of worked. The amount of time spent on decorating the portacabins might have been better spent on more site decoration --User:Guffer
  • Not sure what you mean. Team Deco did not decorate any portacabins. -- Moem (talk)
  • Maybe they're referring to the wooden cladding of the permanent portacabins that the scouts call "Fort Zeewolde". These were not built by SHA, we were just happy that the ugliness of the old cabins was properly hidden... The rented Boels portacabins for SHA were not decorated at all and were called an eyesore by some visitors. --Sha2017.org-juerd (talk)
  • That would be my guess too, but I wanted to ask rather than guess. :-) -- Moem (talk)
  • I loved the gate and lights leading to it. I know how much group effort went into DECO during those awesome Hack42 weekends. Thank you for the great job you've done.
  • Decoration was good, lots of lights, lasers and flames. More signs around giving directions to different fields, tents etc would be amazing. -- JD (talk)
  • Lights were nice, also the huge SHA sign. However, I would have liked more lighting on the main roads and walkways. Especially the lighting of the unpaved uplink to the parking area could be improved: The lights were too close to the ground, meaning they did not really illuminate the ground, but were blinding for people looking down. Maybe this could be improved by attaching the lighting to the tree or some sticks? -- ChrisiPK (talk) 23:00, 28 August 2017 (CEST)
  • Didn't play with pixelflut bar but it looked amazing and it was a great piece of bar.

Design

  • I was happy to have colours to work with on the terrain, and it seems that many visitors enjoyed playing with them, too. -- Moem (talk)
  • I got last years students from the Art Academy, from the 'hacking' subject classes (it is a subject you can choose three) onboard but this was not such a good idea. As they didn't make part of the community nor had information about how its works, their participation was 'a bridge too far'. They didn't deliver to the expectations and their expectations didn't got met. User: Claudia
  • I think the freedom flag + shrug + slogan worked wonderfully as design. It gave space for play (still loving it anyway)User:Claudia.

Family Village

  • I was not part of the Family Village, but visited it multiple times with my daughter. This was my sixth time at the Dutch Hackercamps starting with HIP97 and the Family Village this time at SHA2017 outdid all other editions: a bouncy castle, 'ballenbak' and 2 tents with content tailored to kids. Awesome! Compliments to the Family Village orga team for making this a great experience for kids! -- BjornW
  • There were also sailing lessons for kids in the harbor (as well as grown up kids)... -- Andi2 (talk)
  • I was really not happy with the family village deciding to spend budget on an 'owl show' for the kids. It was essentially a circus act featuring captive animals. I fail to see what this had to do with SHA in any way (zero hack value), the animals themselves were chained up and placed in boxes - they definitely did not look too happy, and often attempted to fly away when a few children got too close. I really don't want to see anything like that again at any future events. --User:Msil
  • I second the previous point. Cruelty to animals is not something I want to see at the camp (keeping wild birds chained in small boxes is animal lover action in the same way as kidnappers and serial killers are human lovers).
  • I liked the train going around terrain, Family Village team doing so much on a tight schedule.
  • Special thanks to young and very young hackers who helped with Entrance. You were awesome!

Finance/coins/payments

  • I did not like the way purchases at Bar/Foodcourt were handled, by buying coins. Especially the no-refund policy. (this was added by User Derchris but not properly signed)
  • The coin thingy felt like a bit of a ripoff, as you would always have some useless plastic coins left over at the end. And the coin machines always spat out the coins on the floor, despite the attempted fixes with tape - it seemed they were designed by people who have never designed such a thing before. -- PoempelFox (talk)
  • The plastic coins are so unbelievable senseless. Don't we have this €-thing within the EU to exchange goods / services against cash already? --User:Nameofuser
  • No prices for the coins online in advance of the event, No prices for the food / drink items online. --User:CliffAlbert
  • Coins are a pain in the backside. Also no indication as to which type of overseas cards would work. Visa/Mastercard didn't work, but Visa Debit did. World has gone contactless. Understand it is an issue in getting the money from the card companies. Cash still needs to be available for those who don't have the euro as their local currency. No way to get your money back for unspent coins. --User:Guffer
  • Plastic coins also very susceptible to being 3D printed... --User:Guffer
  • Did not buy any coins because I thought most of the things were overpriced, and I didn't want to walk around with lots of coins. Having € 2 and € 5 coins in addition to the € 1 coins would have helped a little, but I'd really like to explore the possibility of lower prices and contactless/NFC payments next time, with coins, an event debit card, or even cash as a backup for those who value privacy over ease of use. --Sha2017.org-juerd (talk)
  • I exchanged my money in the UK due to the lack of communication about which cards would be accepted, this affected a few of the people I was with as they were just told "Machines will take cards..." If you choose to use the easily fakeable, nonrefundable coins again please allow 5 euro notes (kinda sucked to put 10 euros in coins in the machine to get a cup of tea the last evening.) I understand storing large amounts of cash can be a worry/ requires lock boxes however I'm sure many of the traders you brought in handle much bigger festivals than this. Could it be an idea to ask them how others do it and evaluate whether the coin system is worth repeating? It worked, but could be better next time. (I'm trying to be constructive not bitchy) -- JD (talk)
    • The machine did take 5 euro notes. Yours might be fakes? -- mr_seeker

Foodcourt

  • While the food at the food court was good, there was not nearly enough choice. Especially if you wanted a main meal to eat and not just some sweets, your choice was "a burger", "fries", "noodles from a wok" or "vegan stuff trying to imitate meat". That really isn't a lot to get repleted, and at 2 meals a day you repeat everything multiple times. Also, at least on the first two days the food court was completely overwhelmed by the demand, the queues were endless, you'd stand in line for an hour. And they opened too late - at 14:00 on day 1, only the 'holy crepe' was open, nothing else. Did you not expect people to eat on the first day?! -- PoempelFox (talk)
  • I wasn't so pleased with food court. The food was ok, but just ok while only delivering small amounts of food seemed like a ripoff for me. Disclosure: I'm spoiled by the food from the angel kitchen :) --User:Nameofuser
  • Great improvement from OHM2013 :) -- Bigshot (talk)
  • Being dependent on the food court would have meant starving from both a lack of nutritional value (portions way too small, not enough choice for 5 days, more snacks than meals, not enough vegetarian options) as well as a lack of funds (7,50 for a small burger!?). Thanks to Millyway's, Pizza Village, home-cooking and Italian Embassy disaster was averted and I survived ;). Maybe next time a system similar to the Angel kitchen could be setup for the whole camp? -- BjornW
  • Or you could have volunteered and gotten awesome, abundant food at no cost ;-) I don't think feeding 3500 people from one kitchen is feasible; kitchens scale, but they don't scale THAT much. -- Moem (talk)
  • Very limited selection and expensive. "Cook like your mom" was good. --User:Guffer
  • Stock up at a supermarket before going to the camp. Fruits, salads, freshly baked bread, yoghurt, bottles of juice and long-storage milk will last 3-4 days without a fridge. The volunteer/orga kitchen was excellent, with buffet warm meals, but you'd need to volunteer to get that. -- Vadim Makarov (talk)
  • Quality was great, however price and portion size was ridiculous, while you stated that the food court would sell "specialized food" it was impossible to eat a full days meals from the food trucks, even if price was no real object. This was a bit annoying for those of us coming from abroad, luckily many of us drove and could easily drive into Zeewolde to do a food run, however those who flew could have found this more difficult. It was nice to see people offering to take other people to the shops with them, however jumping in a strangers car to get food could be a bit dodgy... -- JD (talk)
  • Food was OK, but a local supermarkt (on the terrain, like at OHM2013) would have been better. -- LucLora
  • Food was good, only the diversity could have been improved. I do realize that this is always a trade-off between food diversity and limiting the number of vendors so each vendor can make a sufficient profit. Supermarket does sound like a nice idea, or maybe some way of getting some fresh fruit and vegetables as an alternative to processed food. -- ChrisiPK (talk) 23:00, 28 August 2017 (CEST)

Infodesk / wiki

  • Worked well --User:Guffer
  • Excellent job, very helpful, positive and relaxed. Also people inside the Team supporting each other.
  • Infodesk was helpful and mostly answer any questions asked. Wiki was kept updated and had most of the necessary information. -- JD (talk)

Logistics (shuttle, waste)

  • The ability to post packages to the event was invaluable. I was able to repair diesel bike and go home. --Russell (talk)
  • Luggage shuttle, so useful, very helping, so wow! --User:Nameofuser
  • No bottle drop points :( --User:Nameofuser
  • Waste bins at campsite areas nowhere near big enough, consider using 1100litre eurobins in the camping areas, else volunteers are forever picking up bags from the ground. More glass recycling needed -- Sha2017.org-will-h (talk)
    • Bigger bins would have caused issues in the emptying of them on a daily basis (impossible to hoist them into a golf cart and the walking distance was enormous. Wouldn't fit the trash compactor either). Most days we were all right and only minor buildup occured. We didn't anticipate the holy shit storm on teardown day. Did not see that people just dump crap on the floor because they didn't bring any binbags. Also: villages could have helped out with this, we even provided a few with extra binliners. Some did excellent and helped out, others did not. Need to work on that. Agree on the glass and trash separation. That was my bad, completely forgot to arrange more glass bins. -- Sebastius (talk)
  • As noted, bins seemed to be very random at being emptied. As suggested earlier, perhaps the larger eurobins? --User:Guffer
  • Getting stuff on site using the gold cart and trailers was hit and miss. If you have cars arriving in the car park, the buggies could have waited and taken lots of people stuff at once. Not clearly signed or informed of how that process worked. --User:Guffer
  • Given that the luggage shuttle was an afterthought and went completely unorganized (no team lead, no shift handoffs), it went surprisingly well. As others have suggested, some weatherproof canopies for the luggage points would be a good addition for next time. Also, two of these golfcarts with trailers wasn't enough during peaks, which is a clear indication that this service was used a lot! --Sha2017.org-juerd (talk)
  • It would have been nice to be able to schedule a shuttle for moving gear from the car park, especially those making the walk from the car park to hopper... Some trolleys that could be lent out would even be great. -- JD (talk)
  • Waste bins were sometimes overflowing, but I mainly noticed this late at night when there were probably no more bin runs scheduled. Luggage shuttle was a nice idea, but the exact process could have been communicated more clearly. I ended up lugging all my stuff from the parking area to main entrance because it wasn't clear where stuff would go after I put it on the shuttle. Ended up doing the same thing on the way home because the shuttle was full all the time; maybe some additional shuttles would be great for the last day. -- ChrisiPK (talk) 23:00, 28 August 2017 (CEST)
  • On day -1 there was a large queue of vehicles waiting to get on the terrain to deliver stuff for villages. The terrain was divided into different sections (green, red, yellow, blue and maybe something else, if I remember correctly). However, the way the terrain was split up, most of the people would land in the green zone (Lamarr, Manning, Torvalds, Wozniak), but there was only quite a limited number of cars (2? 3?) permitted on the fields at any time. I think this number could have been increased, either by letting more cars go on the terrain at the same time or (even better) by splitting up those zones again: Why would someone unloading on Lamarr be conflicting with someone who wants to unload on Torvalds? This probably would have reduced the waiting time for all people. -- ChrisiPK (talk) 23:00, 28 August 2017 (CEST)

Music Lounge

  • Expanses for silent Headphone parties can be spared. --User:Nameofuser
  • Have it a bit further away to keep the noise away from interfering with the talks going on in the two nearby areas --User:Guffer
  • Way too close to the talk tents and bar, seemed to have some variety, however mostly techno/electronic music whenever I was around, maybe I was just there at the wrong times. -- JD (talk)
  • can second that the music lounge location was far from ideal - could hear the bass during the talks

Silent Lounge

  • Having helped at the bar i can say that there was a problem with people asking for a beer (or something else) loudly from outside or ignoring the "no-shoe" sign. -- Bigshot (talk)
  • Sort of worked. --User:Guffer
  • Really liked it when there were people chatting silently. Didn't really like it when it turned into a completely silent lounge, as I wanted a silent place to chat with friends (which we found at the harbour). The term "silent" seems to be ambiguous. --Sha2017.org-juerd (talk)

NOC / Network

  • I wish my ISP would have the same quality --User:Nameofuser
  • Connectivity was good most of the time. 2.4Gig mostly worked. Would have been nice if the NOC had let us know about the IPv6 issues at the start rather than just "we've fixed it" as it caused me various problems to start with. --User:Guffer
  • 5G Wireless was almost faultless, 2.4G had some issues but was mostly stable. More communication about things such as the IPv6 issues would have been nice, as well as updates on faults with estimated fix time/dates. Uplink was amazing. -- JD (talk)
  • The support for custom AP's in your own village was awesome. BugBlue (talk)
  • Field DSL at logistics entrance was awesome. If you knew about it... -- ChrisiPK (talk) 23:00, 28 August 2017 (CEST)

POC / Dect / Fieldphones

  • worked very well --User:Nameofuser
  • I concur. I had no issues using my Dect. Gerne mal wieder! -- Moem (talk)
  • imho easily the most fun people of SHA2017. When DECT spot was closed, some people came by POC tent and help was provided
  • Field phones worked great, I will fondly remember night call from Silent Disco to Pizza Village
  • DECT coverage at logistics entrance could have been improved. Especially during an uneventful night shift, calling people is a nice distraction. -- ChrisiPK (talk) 23:00, 28 August 2017 (CEST)

Power

  • Was reliable, but not enough outlets. Some areas had nothing attached. Could they not have moved the boxes and just joined the cables together? D Some Ceeform 16A would have made it easier for people who have leads where we use them a lot for camping. --User:Guffer
  • If you are going to kill the power at 6PM the night before people have to leave please tell them. We only knew due to having people around from the Orga. Was insulting to have the generator running but no cables left out to power the harbor, not to mention the search light still going. --User:Guffer
    • Second this, we were leaving the next day back to Spain and it wasn't much fun tearing the tent down w/o light at night :( -- User:n0p
    • This problem happens at every single camp, including CCC. Please provide more info next time, maybe with signs. Even better would be waiting the next day or providing reduced capabilities at least for lighting. -- Mastrogippo (talk)
    • In the defense of the power team, this was announced at the closing event IIRC. But I agree, it could have been announed before, maybe even in a small section in the booklet or on the wiki. (Maybe some sort of arriving/leaving FAQ section?) -- ChrisiPK (talk) 23:47, 28 August 2017 (CEST)
  • Generator use/fuel is expensive, however for those of us disconnected in hopper to find that the generator was still being run for the harbor and its light anyway was maddening, For those of us, especially the camper areas who were to leave the following morning it would have been nice to have had a little power to charge phones and whatnot before driving home. Just leaving a very minimal power infrastructure even until 10pm rather than 6pm would have been amazing. Some of the standard 240V industrial style connectors as used on camping/ 16A equipment would have been great for those of us with that equipment. I saw some stacked up in storage by the big sign. Would have been nice to offer them to clusters/ villages before the event, especially for the BS1363 cluster who had to buy in/borrow shuko connectors. -- JD (talk)
  • Very welcome support from the power team to overcome a long distance problem. Hint for ourselfs: Don't put your village in a far away corner and use a bit of power ;) BugBlue (talk) 11:10, 24 August 2017 (CEST)

Alt.pwr

Productiehuis / recordings / track tents / AV / VOC

  • C3VOC did a good job as always. --User:Guffer
  • Video walls worked well, although some did get upset at times and have tearing issues. Would be nice if we could get the slides of presentations as well. --User:Guffer
  • As an organizer who hasn't visited any talks (except badge and closing) during the event, I'm incredibly happy with the great recordings. --Sha2017.org-juerd (talk)
  • In some tents (don't recall which) the videowall was too low and you could not see half of the screen User:n0p
  • CCCVOC impressed me, High quality video, uploaded quickly. The smaller tents did have the rigging in the way of the screens unless you sat directly in the middle. The PixelFlut Bar screen was awesome before it became a massive arms race, though the results some got were impressive! An awesome idea. -- JD (talk)
  • Awesome.
  • +1 Video Wall was to low and the rigging was in the way. A lot of people squeezed themselves in the middle of the hall to see everything while there was a lot of space in the edges of the tents (without good view to the video wall) -- Ben (talk) 10:31, 25 August 2017 (CEST)
  • I can find all talks! Recordings are awesome !Claudia

Safety / stewards / first aid / Fire Marshalls

  • Where to start on this? You seriously have to look at the Health and Safety. You had people driving heavy plant during the time that visitors were on site during the time that people were allowed on site and also tear down with no banks(wo)men. Driving with loads on their forks and couldn't see in front. Almost all the drivers of the golf buggies were mental (worse than the italians in Rome...) even worse on the main terrain - how anyone was not seriously hurt I don't know. Yes, bomb around, but not where people, especially children are. And no lights. --User:Guffer
    • I heard of one foot being run over by a golf cart (without serious consequences, but still). LeonH (talk) 13:10, 15 August 2017 (CEST)
    • In the defense of those driving golf karts and forklifts: Everyone who wanted to use a motorized vehicle from Logistics had to show a valid drivers licence, even those with forklifts. Logistics was very strict in that policy. -- mr_seeker (talk)
  • Site lighting was poor. WE had festoon on the ground from the car park to the main gate. Didn't illuminate it that well and there were large rock lumps on the path. Then no lighting from the main gate taking you in to camp. Main access paths had no lighting, and with the Dutch loving their bikes, zooming past in the dark with no lights - not good considering the amount of booze being consumed. The lighting was then torn out on the Tuesday evening when people were still leaving at night --User:Guffer
    • This was a pro-made installation to ensure first aid would at least have something todo. BugBlue (talk)
  • There was an emergency message received by Team Ticket which required fast response. I called Safety on the radio three times within an hour, received an ack, someone was sent to our tent, no one came. I gave up, sorted it out. Luckily we had zero security incidents at the entrance. Thomascovenant
  • Some serious thought needs to go into the safety issues surrounding the Golf karts and site equipment. You celebrated the fact no golf karts ended up in a ditch this time, which is great, however there is so much that needs to be improved. A volunteer, driving a golf kart should not have the hammer down when around people. Empty track? Sure, go ahead, however when driving behind/ infront of pedestrians, many drinking alcohol it seems a speed limit needs to be enforced. This is a sad breach of the "Don't make me make a rule" rule. While nothing happened there were near misses. Everyone driving karts had driving licences, would you drive your car near pedestrians like that? This is on the volunteers, if you drove like this you should be ashamed of yourself. All the karts being used at night should have had proper lights(at least one had a light bar, a torch doesn't count), especially as there was minimal site lighting, and horns (especially the electric ones). Those that had no lights should not have been used at night. Some volunteers did shout along the lines of "beep beep" to make people aware which was good. Site equipment should not have been driven around while pedestrians were on the main track. I watched a vehicle with fully loaded forks(minimal visibility) drive straight onto the main drag at a decent speed, if you absolutely had to move stuff with them during the event, escort them with a golf kart, at slow speeds with flashing lights etc. Could the site equipment not have been left until teardown? . -- JD (talk)
  • From a firemarshall angel: coordination was made really hard by the fact that safety leadership used Dutch exclusively over the radio despite a significant part of the team not speaking Dutch at all, or just barely. Korfuri (talk)
  • Golfkarts desperately need 1) head and tail lights, 2) horns, 3) flashing beacons in that order. Additionally, people driving the golfkarts should be asked to go slow. Some drivers were going above any reasonable speed, especially at night and with only a smartphone held out the side as a head light replacement. In one instance, I had to yell at a power golfkart to stop because it was going so fast that stuff was falling off in the back. -- ChrisiPK (talk) 23:00, 28 August 2017 (CEST)

Sysadmin / bofh

  • There were sysadmins? I didn't notice, therefore they did a very good job! --User:Nameofuser
  • Sysadmin for Volunteer System not only kept it running, but spent time by Volunteer Desk giving advice. Well done!
  • It looks like this time we're keeping the wiki at least until the next event. Thanks! --Sha2017.org-juerd (talk)

Terrain

  • Should another event occour on this field, the fields on the harbour-side of the dyke should all be powered to allow use. Because they have a ground where water quickly drains, so they never flooded or got overly muddy, and they were well protected from the wind. Many people realized that, and Snowdon field was completely packed with sleeping tents. If Zuse had had power and network infrastructure, it would probably have been well used as well. -- PoempelFox (talk)
  • We wanted a very quiet field to sleep on, headed to Zuse for that reason. It turned out that the bass music from the 'American Embassy'/Defcon made us change the field completely as it was so loud, despite behing quite far away. I think the flatness of the land made it so. cyplo
    • You should have come to Engelbart, which had only about 10 people camping but network through and power at south end. Having a sprawling camp is good for those who need quieteness for sleep. -- Vadim Makarov (talk)
  • Assigning explicit maximum noise ratings for fields made this event way more enjoyable than the last ones -- Sprawl (talk)
  • the terrain was good but maybe the camp was a bit too "diluted", if the next event will occour in the same terrain it can be a nice idea to close some fields. -- Bigshot (talk)
  • Better water management would make a lot of difference, but I understand that is not easy or cheap. I liked that the camp was so spread out over different fields so one could easily choose more peace and quiet; I'd have hated to be in a noisier area. Please don't pack us into a smaller number of fields! -- Moem (talk)
    • On the case of water management: I noticed during build-up that they were repairing the water pump. Another solution: Walking plates on high-traffic areas, to prevent them from becoming a soggy mess. -- mr_seeker (talk)
  • Camp was over an area a bit too large - could have been condensed down a bit. Quiet areas were a winner for those that wanted it. Its a hack camp, not a techno rave camp. Know issues with the fields being water locked not too much of an issue during the event. Could have been a bigger problem. --User:Guffer
  • Car parking worked well. Just a very long walk for some people from the car park back to their village. --User:Guffer
  • Site design was not bad. The bar area didnt make much noise at night except for the "music lounge" and I use that term loosely. Could it not have gone the other side of the bar further away from the quiet areas and the talk tents? --User:Guffer
  • Scoutinglandgoed is almost perfect for an outdoor hacker conference. As much as I like the traditions of our event, I kind of hope that for the first time, we will re-use a site. --Sha2017.org-juerd (talk)
  • Fortunately, we had good weather during the event itself. However, it would have been incredibly muddy if it had rained as much during the event, as during the buildup. I think we should have had many more wooden walkways in the main event area. --Sha2017.org-juerd (talk)
  • Terrain was great. I liked the fact that the camp was a bit spaced out and there were quiet areas available. Major downside: Some fields close to the water did not have power and network and there was only one cabin with showers and toilets for all the fields. This often lead to queues and also cold showers because the boiler obviously could not keep up with demand. -- ChrisiPK (talk) 23:00, 28 August 2017 (CEST)

Ticket and Entrance

  • See note in the safety area about this --User:Guffer
  • Young hackers did a great job as angels
  • As an angel, having a stereo at the entrance to provide entertainment during uneventful shifts was great! -- ChrisiPK (talk) 23:00, 28 August 2017 (CEST)

Villages

  • Worked well. Having some of the reserved areas marked out worked. However, those in campers, unless you turned up on day -2 you couldn't get near to your village area. Needed more areas but perhaps with less vehicles together. --User:Guffer
  • Thanks to ccc Village members who took over logistics entrance coordination in addition to their own Village duties. When everything failed and volunteers were scarce or left without instructions etc., you took over and supported them and each other. Doing it together is something that CCC has a good hang of and your experience was very valuable. "Support your people" <3
  • Villages seemed to work well, however it would have been nice to be able to allocate a camper spot to a village( on hopper,they were in the same space anyway), stopping village members who were in campers being segregated from their village. Campers allocated a spot in the quiet zones should be guaranteed a spot in the quiet zones, not just told you've got a camper slot, wherever there's room. It's important to remember that people chose the silent area for a reason... -- JD (talk)

Volunteering / Angels

  • The food was EXTRA ORDINARY! Kudos to the kitchen crew; please never ever change anything. The food was twice warm meal, it was tasty, it had at several dishes, it was complex to tease one, and I was actually having a full stomach every time and that means something with my bottom less stomach -- Pcdog (talk)
    • I liked the food too. The cooking was done by "Mecklenburger". You can meet them at different festivals and the bigger events done by CCC. They will be at 34c3 in Leipzig for sure. --User:Nameofuser
  • I recommend to put of a sign in the walk way towards the fields and main area to sign up as Angel in the Angel system. This is to have a bigger traction in the beginning of the event. --User:Sha2017.org-vision
  • For most of my shifts (even the money handling and/or more complex ones) I never met the person in charge / a coordinator and therefore got different or no instructions.
  • At some point even Heaven was overtaken by volunteers without proper instruction / planning. They did a very good job (thanks for the after midnight coffee delivery!), but at the same moment it felt like the organizers of SHA2017 had lost control over quite big parts of the event. --User:Nameofuser
  • All the angels really were angels. Some of them even working 8+ hours a day beside they had payed >200€ for an ticket! --User:Nameofuser
  • Having only one disinfection machine (and no dishwasher) in the angle kitchen was kind of a bad joke. Delivering over thousands meals every day needs a little up scaling for the cleaning capabilities too ;) --User:Nameofuser
  • Angels make the event. Bribery of food works. Many thanks to them. --User:Guffer
  • Thank you, all angels! --Sha2017.org-juerd (talk)
  • I am usually not a friend of vegetarian food, but the angel food was awesome! Never had this much tasty vegetarian food in my life! -- ChrisiPK (talk) 23:00, 28 August 2017 (CEST)
  • Sometimes, it was not very clear where volunteers were needed urgently. The angel system gave an indication, but I found it to be only about 80% correct. Volunteer desk sometimes sent me to places where the work was either already finished or there were already enough people there. Talking to team leads usually got me a more reliable idea of where I was needed, but that is somewhat time-consuming. -- ChrisiPK (talk) 23:00, 28 August 2017 (CEST)
  • Late night coffee and food runs by heaven were a life-saver, especially at logistics entrance and parking. -- ChrisiPK (talk) 23:00, 28 August 2017 (CEST)

Toilets/Showers

  • These were good! Always clean. Too much queueing on the toilets/showers by the harbour (Hopper/Snowden) and Orga, though; this area needs more in future, I was frequently going to other areas of the camp to use facilities. -- Sha2017.org-will-h (talk)
  • Showers variable. The permanent site showers couldn't keep up with the hot water especially in Hopper. The bar needed more toilets in a closer proximity to it. Facilities seemed to be cleaned. Always seems to be a supply of wiping rag. --User:Guffer
  • Two male, two female toilets, 4 showers for 2/3 fields? That's not enough. I get the ones by the harbor were already there, however that was ridiculous. Also more consideration should have been made to the water heating system. The scout campsite showers are not designed to be used constantly, there is not enough dwell time for the water heaters to heat the water.(I get this was probably easily overlooked, please improve this for the next event) Even if you had no extra toilets in hopper, a set of the (gas fired?) mobile showers would have been greatly appreciated. Breaking into a shiver in the shower isn't good. Many of us ended up walking across site, which while annoying was fine, but increased the amount of people using the other facilities. -- JD (talk)
  • Second the point regarding harbor showers made above by JD. In the morning, there were long queues and the water was always cold. I ended up walking to one of the additional showers on the other side of the terrain. -- ChrisiPK (talk) 23:00, 28 August 2017 (CEST)
  • Toilets were sometimes missing toilet paper. After reporting this at the info desk, people were told that there was toilet paper available, but logistics is not allowed to distribute it because an external company is responsible for that but nobody knew when they would be back to do it. This should not happen. -- ChrisiPK (talk) 23:00, 28 August 2017 (CEST)

Miscellaneous

  • Field access after the event was painful especially for those who had a lot of kit to get out. While I understand limiting the vehicles on site - after having several near misses with the golf carts it was ironic limiting the movement of vehicles to that degree. Perhaps send vehicles in a line with a few vehicles going to the same area to get the throughput. Was causing issues in the logistics car park with lorries not being able to turn properly. --User:Guffer
  • Some more observations regarding departure & car access after the event from LeonH (talk) 13:07, 15 August 2017 (CEST). The general theme that I see here is the inability to adapt rules and plans set in advance to the circumstances. I was not part of the team, so some of my observations and suggestions may be unfair or unwarranted. Please excuse my ignorance in advance.
    • On the 8th rain was predicted for around 14:00, so many villages were busy tearing down from 12:00 onwards. Yet cars were only allowed starting 17:00. I believe the rules set in advance should have been adapted to the circumstances in this case. I brought this to the attention of Teardown Management & Traffic teams, but I feel my suggestion was rejected without fully considering the discontent this would cause to hundreds of visitors. --User:LeonH
    • As a consequence of the restricted car access, luggage shuttles were hopelessly overloaded that afternoon (with people waiting in the rain next to their luggage). I believe there was at least one extra trailer that could have been deployed as a shuttle. --User:LeonH
    • The area on the parking were the shuttles dropped luggage was not sheltered and exposed to rain.--User:LeonH
    • On the 8th in the afternoon and on the 9th, there was often a long queue of cars at the entrance waiting to get onto the field (our village had to wait ~1h) while the parking situation on the field was very relaxed. I feel the pragmatic thing to do in this case would have been to just maximize the number of cars parking on the field without causing chaos. I think urging villages to pack up before driving their car onto the field was a good idea to maximize throughput. --User:LeonH
    • Having bicycle angels accompany cars on the field seemed like a nice idea, but didn't feel very useful in practice. People drive in cities every day without running people over. Inconsiderate people that wanted to drive onto the grass did so anyway, regardless of people telling them over and over not to. --User:LeonH
  • From my experience with a night shift at logistics and parking: In case there were not enough volunteers to staff all posts (logistics entrance and exit, parking entrance and exit, and main visitor entrance), we were instructed to close off parking entrance, then logistics entrance and keep the respective exits open (for permit and safety reasons, because logistics exit was also the access route for emergency vehicles). However, all infrastructure (power, wifi, phone, tents, food) was only available at the respective entrances. For the future, it would be great if infrastructure could also be provided at those points which definitely need to be manned through the entire night. -- ChrisiPK (talk) 23:00, 28 August 2017 (CEST)
  • Guarding the logistics entrance, people would occasionally try (and succeed) to sneak around the barriers with their car to get on the terrain without a permit. The way the terrain is laid out, it makes it hard to stop someone from doing that, because the junction where people turn to go on the terrain is not visible from the entrance and the guy at the exit doesn't know whether the person going on the terrain is allowed to do it. Also, he's too far away to check whether that car has a permit on the dash and also too far to stop the car. Not really sure how this could be improved, would probably require a redesign of the entire logistics parking area. Or an additional person checking cars right at the beginning of the terrain. -- ChrisiPK (talk) 23:00, 28 August 2017 (CEST)

Standard Chair

  • I've paid for a "Standard Chair" but this chair wasn't delivered at the SHA, so I still have the ticket for the Standard Chair but I've never got it. There was a List of telephone numbers at the infodesk but nobody called me. --Eest9 (talk) 02:27, 24 August 2017 (CEST)