|Cluster Name||Family Village|
|Generated SHA Flag (experiment here)|
|Contact||IRC: #sha2017-family @ Freenode|
|Description||This is the Family Village: Making SHA2017 a wonderful, safe and educational experience for 16-|
|Total Floorspace requested by villages||10,732 m²|
|preferred Location||52° 17' 14", 5° 31' 51"|
Letter to future Team Family
Team Family Village really enjoyed the event and wrote a letter to the future team Family to transfer some of the things we've done and learned. Since we don't know who will organise the event in 2021, we send it to the orga mailinglist and hope someone will remember and notify the future team. Additionally, if you are organizing an event that welcomes families, the information could also be valuable to you.
Family Village is a group of families who camp together on a special area of the camp. All families are welcome, you can just show up and put your tent at Wilson field (quiet time after 21:00). If you are staying somewhere else on the camp, you can walk over to Rhodes Field where the playing activities are organized. If you already know you want to stay at Wilson field, you can create an account at the wiki and add yourself to the Family Village Sleeping Field.
All activities are organised by the families themselves. Here are some examples of projects that are ready to go:
- Bamboestiek: 1500 pieces of bamboo sticks of various sizes (60/90/120cm) and 10 kilos of rubber bands for everybody to build amazing things like bridges and towers.
- Frisbee: Lots of frisbees and baskets to play discgolf, kamjam or just throw frisbees.
- Inflatable fun land: A fun area for kids and adults to hang out and play (There is NO water involved in this Inflatable Fun Land!)
- Sand pit: Two sand pits, one for the smallest children and one for the bigger ones.
- Taekwondo: Introduction training into this Martial Art with fun and some kicking.
- Water/Sand playbox: Completely self-contained, water is circulated and uses solar power/battery for the pumps.
There are many more projects in progress, and we warmly invite you to have a look, help out or start your own at the Project list. Additionally, have a look at the awesome angel system: visitors can sign up for shifts to prepare the family village (angel type: Family Village: Thing Finder) and many other things to help out.
Since we'll have two large tents to use for indoor playing and workshops, it would be nice to have some shared facilities like a microwave, water cooker, etc. For this, we have organized an "I'm going to SHA2017 and I'm bringing ..." list at this wiki. Feel free to add item you bring to the list and have a look at the wish list.
Child safety ais extremely important. Here are some tips specific to SHA2017:
- Get a child-bracelet at the infotent or the family village to write your phone number. If you don't want to attach a bracelet to your kid, permanent marker also works.
- Take a recent picture of your kids and have it standby. Obviously, we all have a million pictures of our children, but if your kid is missing, having this picture standby saves valuable time.
- First aid can be contacted through the safety central post via DECT: 2222 or +31 622005297, they will come to you for small and big situations (they have a full medical team on-site). Basic first aid kits are also available at the Family Village tents if you are looking for a bandaid with a nice picture.
- Small children should not be left unattended. If they are found without parent/guardian, the missing parent/guardian scenario is initiated to find you. Also, Family Village is not a day care.
- Keep a very close watch around the water. Especially the canel (Nuldernauw) is very cold, has strong currents and heavy traffic. So use the pond at flowers field and still keep a very close watch on your children. You can borrow floatable swimming bands at the Family Village and the harbour. Note: using those floatable swimming bands is not a substitute for actually watching your children.
- The harbour is a great place to be, but has additional rules. Regarding children, the most important rule is "Children up to 12 years are not allowed to play or be alone in the harbour and the surrounding area (up to half of the Hopperfield). Watch your children since water is not without risk!"
In addition to the child safety listed above:
- Family Village is not a day care. Do not leave your child unattended.
- There will be Water and Lemonade, which is very useful in hot weather. Food is not provided. Please bring your own food for your children. There is a refrigerator where you can keep your baby food. Please note: this refrigerator is ONLY meant for baby food etc. For your own food, you can obviously bring your own or use the food trucks, we hear they're going to be awesome.
- We hope to have great weather, and in this case, you need to keep in mind that your child needs special care. Be aware that your child will be outside most of the day. Make sure you use a water-resistant sunscreen with a high factor and provide fresh fruits and food. The family Village provides water and lemonade, but NO food.
- Since children and their caretakers need their rest, the Wilson field must be quiet after 21.00.
If you have any questions, or would already like to meet fellow families, you can find us:
- At IRC: #sha2017-family (irc.freenode.net)
- On twitter: https://twitter.com/SHA2017Family
- On the wiki: https://wiki.sha2017.org/w/Cluster:Family_Village
- On the mailinglist: https://lists.sha2017.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/family-village, or reply to this email
- On SHA2017: DECT number KIDS (5437)
Workshops and Activities
We have found and sometimes organised the following workshops and activities that are interesting for children. Feel free to add more to this list. If you want to organise something in the workshop tent on Rhodes field, please contact us at email@example.com for scheduling.
|Friday 2017-08-04||12:00||16:00||Rhodes Field||Hop on the train to ride around the camp||more info|
|Saturday 2017-08-05||10:30||14:30||Workshop Tent||Postapocalyptic Goggles-Workshop. We build postapocalyptic goggles and jewellery from leftovers of human civilisation / of SHA2017.||more info|
|Saturday 2017-08-05||12:00||16:00||Rhodes Field||Hop on the train to ride around the camp||more info|
|Saturday 2017-08-05||10:00||11:00||Chriet Titulaer Island||Climbing. The starttimes are 10am, 11am, 13am, 14am and 15am. The workshop of 11am will only take place, when the workshop at 10am is filled with 12 people etc etc. Age from 7 and up. Subscription list is at the infodesk.|
|Saturday 2017-08-05||15:00||16:00||Workshop Tent||Balloon folding workshop. How to amaze you friends and kids with useless skills. Balloon folding looks complicated, but actually isn't. If you ever wanted to learn this skill now is your change.||more info|
|Saturday 2017-08-05||16:10||18:10||Workshop Tent||Taekwondo for Kids. During SHA on the 5th of August there will be a Taekwondo training for kids (and parents).||more info|
|Sunday 2017-08-06||11:00||16:00||Chriet Titulaer Island||Archery. The starttimes are 11am, 12am, 13am, 14am and 15am. Age from 7 years and up. Subscription list is at the infodesk.|
|Sunday 2017-08-06||10:00||11:00||Workshop Tent||Making bombs How to go off with a (loud) bang. We'll make small quantities of hydrogen gas and let them explode.||more info|
|Sunday 2017-08-06||13:00||15:00||Workshop Tent||Hack in the class: Arduino||more info|
|Sunday 2017-08-06||14:00||15:00||Indoor Playing Tent||Arts and crafts workshop.|
|Sunday 2017-08-06||15:00||16:00||Workshop Tent||Hack in the Class: How to CTF for kids!||more info|
|Sunday 2017-08-06||16:00||17:00||Workshop Tent||Raspberry Pi Robot Programming||more info|
|Monday 2017-08-07||10:00||12:00||Workshop Tent||Workshop making owls of clay and dissecting owl pellets. Make your own owl from clay, or dissect an owl pellet to discover the bones from its last meal.||more info|
|Monday 2017-08-07||12:15||13:00||Workshop Tent||Workshop Scratch. Learn to program in scratch. Ages 6 to 8. Bring a laptop!|
|Monday 2017-08-07||13:00||14:00||Workshop Tent||Cryptokids Workshop for kids. Get insight into the technical structure of the Internet, how data works, who is actually in charge online and why privacy matters. But more importantly, we try to empower you and provide tools to be more secure and to take charge of your own data when you surf the web.||more info|
|Monday 2017-08-07||14:00||15:00||Alexander Field||Flight demonstration with owls and bird of pray. During this demonstration on Alexander Field, we will show how several owls and birds of pray fly, and tell you something about these awesome creatures.||more info|
|Monday 2017-08-07||15:30||16:00||Workshop Tent||Programmer mind. A game where we program humans as robots with simple instructions (walk 5 steps, turn left, etc) to accomplish tasks. Age 5 and up.|
|Monday 2017-08-07||16:15||17:00||Workshop Tent||Marshmallow challenge! In teams of 4 you will compete to create the highest tower of marshmallows and spaghetti. Age 5 and up|
Most activities within the Family Village will be coordinates as individual projects. Want to organize something cool for the kids? Create a project so we can track its status!
If you require a budget: fill in the Budget Required field in the form so the team leads can decide whether to fund your project. If you have a budget, you can buy it yourself and declare costs: see Team:Finance/Procedures for the details on declaring costs, and CC a copy of the email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternative is providing an exact shopping list on the project page with links to a webshop, and ask User:fhp to order it.
After the event
Make sure your project has an exit plan written on the wiki before buying anything! We cannot leave anything at the field, and capacity at the trash bins has to be reserved at Team:Waste!
List of projects
I am coming to the Family Village and I'll bring:
- Labelmaker (DYMO LabelManager Rhino)
- Ducktape, basic tools
- solder iron, hot glue pistol
- PMR Walki Talkies
- Air pump to pump things up with. Both manual, electric and compressor
- 2 microwaves (User:Anykey will bring one)
- 2 watercookers (User:Anykey will bring one)
- lounge chairs and couches for chill out area (but you have to take them home afterwards!)
- Games and toys for everyone to play with
|0 - 5 Year old||80|
|6 - 11 year old||117|
|12- 17 year old||98|